Wing feathers

RRTXCHICKS

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 18, 2013
We have a hen who is 2 now and has zero feathers on her wings. Her wings are just sticks, literally. We thot it was molting plus we do have another hen that pecks and so we figure that's what happened but will they ever grow back? We have never seen this. Could there be other reasons? Thanks for help/suggestions/advice.

Has anyone used those little glasses for pecking?

Like this??
791D6857-6900-457B-81FD-EB4776953C35.jpeg

This is my frizzle bantam Cochin rooster. His wings started to look like this a couple weeks ago. I read it could be due to a depluming mite so I just treated everyone with ivermectin. Just in case since I never saw any mites. He doesn’t get picked on. If anything he’s the bully of the yard. I’ll let you know if his feathers start to grow back any time soon. I hope they do. He looks weird when he mates.

Like this??View attachment 2639324

This is my frizzle bantam Cochin rooster. His wings started to look like this a couple weeks ago. I read it could be due to a depluming mite so I just treated everyone with ivermectin. Just in case since I never saw any mites. He doesn’t get picked on. If anything he’s the bully of the yard. I’ll let you know if his feathers start to grow back any time soon. I hope they do. He looks weird when he mates.
Exactly like that! And it's only that one hen. I didn't mean it in a mean way, but I giggled cuz I pictured urs mating. Must look wicked! Thanks for ur reply and good luck!

He’s the only one that has this as well. So I don’t think it’s a mite. Otherwise they all would have it. At least I think. But I treated anyway. As a precaution since I couldn’t find any other reason for it. Except that he’s a frizzle and his feathers break. But only those are the ones gone and the shaft isn’t broken. So weird.

I giggle at him too trying to mate. Since he’s a little guy, and he mates with any of the hens, he has a tough time as it is balancing. Now he has only sticks to balance with.

He’s the only one that has this as well. So I don’t think it’s a mite. Otherwise they all would have it. At least I think. But I treated anyway. As a precaution since I couldn’t find any other reason for it. Except that he’s a frizzle and his feathers break. But only those are the ones gone and the shaft isn’t broken. So weird.

I giggle at him too trying to mate. Since he’s a little guy, and he mates with any of the hens, he has a tough time as it is balancing. Now he has only sticks to balance with.
U really have to get a pic or video and share..hehe. Yeah my hubby thinking mites too but she's only one. I think the bully hen was picking them at night. I just wonder if they will ever grow back. Stay in touch pls. I'll take a pic of my girl and share tomorrow.

I haven’t been able to get a video recently because of all the rain we’ve been getting. But I will keep trying. 🤣 He hasn’t grown back any feathers or lost the shafts yet. I’m hoping when he molts the feathers will grow in fully.

I haven’t been able to get a video recently because of all the rain we’ve been getting. But I will keep trying. 🤣 He hasn’t grown back any feathers or lost the shafts yet. I’m hoping when he molts the feathers will grow in fully.
Haha. Can't wait to see if ur able to video. So we went ahead and treated for mites. We sprayed everyone and treated coop with DE. They are looking better. Here is our hen. If u look at her wings, she seems to be growing feathers....they were way worse. Just wanted to update u. 🙂

Attachments

• 20210519_062756.jpg
    20210519_062756.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 8
I probably won’t be able to get a video. He has become very aggressive towards my other roosters and I’m looking to rehome him to a sanctuary near me. I hate to see him go since he is otherwise a good rooster. But he really needs a flock of his own and it would be selfish of me to keep him. Let alone too stressful for the rest of my flock. 😞

Back
Top Bottom