Wing half chewed off on young pullet - advice?

ChickenAnarchy

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
We have been raising birds for a couple of years. A few times a year we raise some chicks for others and we have never had anything like this happen. The birds are checked on, cared for, 3 times a day and 2 days ago we found 2 young Australorps that have had their wings CHEWED OFF.

One is at the elbow joint and another one is even worse, above that joint. Well, they are both in the house, I cleaned the wounds with Betadine tea and applied Blu Kote. I didn't want to put them back out since this is fly season. They are eating, drinking, doing fine, seem very happy.. but I am not sure if if I should be doing something else.

The issue is.. there is bone sticking out the middle of meat. There is no extra skin to wrap around the wound or do any sutures.. I honestly have no idea what to do.

They are eating moist food with kefir for the probiotics. there is no infection anywhere I can find. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChickenAnarchy

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Still hoping someone knows something on how this might heal with the bone sticking out or what else I should do, thanks

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
I have no idea at all!

Have you tried calling your vet? My sisters vet will let her call and ask questions like that for free....but then she does pay for lots of dog and cat visits etc. so there is a relationship there.

Good luck! And wow, how totally icky!

ChickenAnarchy

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
I have had many people call me asking for advice on chicken woulds because they can't find a poultry vet in the area. I can call my vet I guess.. she is really nice.. I don't think she has chicken experience.. and believe it or not, the men who call themselves government have actually made it illegal to give advice over the phone.. they still do it but are really cautious about it. They seem really happy.. there doesn't seem to be any infection.. there just isn't any skin to pull over the end and bone is sticking out in the middle farther than the meat. I guess I will just keep them in and see what happens.. they are living in my kitchen for right now and seem fine except for their zombie wounds :/

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Well, I remember when I worked for a vet and a cat lost all of the meat from the end of her tail. The vet cut off the bone joint that was sticking out, so there was enough skin to sew closed.

But I have no idea what you would do in your case, amputating the rest of the wing is way too nasty without anesthetic.

But with the bone sticking out I would think infection would set in eventually.

IDK. Pretty nasty any way you choose to go. My best wishes!

ChickenAnarchy

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Well, I just wanted to let everyone know they healed completely. We kept them on home made kefir for probiotics on their feed , a little colloidal silver in their water to counter act other harmful bacteria.. even though it would kill off some of the probiotics..blue kote on their wounds. If I had not known there once was a gaping hole with bone sticking out on that spot.. I would have not known there was ever an injury. One girl is even growing new feathers on that spot. I didn't remove any bone, or anything... hardy girls!!

ChickenAnarchy

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
I will try to add pics of the wings if I can. We added them back to the flock when it was close to dark.. don't know if we can catch them again lol

It was really amazing to watch.

Top Bottom