Wing injury advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Janeway, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Janeway

Janeway Hatching

Dec 15, 2017
    My buff orpington, Buffy, was attacked by a pine marten a few nights ago. No blood, doesn't seem to be an open wound, but her wing is slouching forward a bit and it looks like she has a nasty bruise. Can anyone confirm if the discolored skin is in fact a bruise or is there something else going on? I also think there's a break in the wing and have been keeping her in a tub with the wing wrapped in an ace bandage. Anyone doctored a similar injury? MVIMG_20171215_074805.jpg

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I don't know?
    Did you wash and clean the area?

3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Here is a link with info on how to examine to look for a fracture, and how to do a figure 8 wing wrap for support if needed, and other wrap methods. Bruising is often greenish looking, which is kind of what I see in your picture, but hard to tell from a picture. http://wildliferehabber.com/rehab-data/wing-fractures

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Janeway

Janeway Hatching

Dec 15, 2017
    I did now, with rubbing alcohol, which helped clarify. Definitely a bruise with a few small cuts. Thanks, that step should have been obvious!

chickens really likes this.
  5. Janeway

Janeway Hatching

Dec 15, 2017
    Definitely a bruise. Thanks for the link. I'm sure I was wrapping it too tight before. Tried a figure 8; we'll see if it stays on. I can't identify a fracture point. Both wings feel the same to me. Do you think swelling alone could cause the wing to look like it's drooping? How long would you keep her separate from the flock?

6. Chickassan

Chickassan Free Ranging

It's droopy because it hurts and it probably feels better to not hold it up. If it isn't fractured wrapping may not be necessary. I would keep her isolated until the bruising fades a bit and isn't quite so tempting to peck probably three or four days. :)

7. Janeway

Janeway Hatching

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks! Very helpful.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  8. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    It's possible that there is just severe bruising and muscle/ligament strain if the predator pulled or yanked on the wing, or she did trying to get away, which would make it very sore. Imagine a pulled muscle in you. Agree with Chickassan, would keep her separated until she's well enough to hold her own with the others and not get picked on, and so she can get enough food and water.

Janeway and Chickassan like this.
  9. Chickassan

Chickassan Free Ranging

You're welcome, forgot to mention aside from that wing probably not feeling the best swelling could be compressing nerves also adding to the droop. In a couple of days if there are no fractures she should be nearly as good as new.

Janeway and coach723 like this.
  10. Janeway

Janeway Hatching

Dec 15, 2017
    Cool. Will do this. Feeling much better about her prognosis. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: