1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wing injury on our EE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jotaylor, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Jotaylor

Jotaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello! I've got a new problem and would love some advice and opinions. Our miniature daschund got ahold of our big hen an EE and her wing is injured. the injured wing sits lower than the other one and she doesn't seem to be able to "flutter" or fly. And of course her buddies are mean to her. She will eat but pretty much out of your hand only. I checked her out after it happened and there really wasn't any blood and when I feel around her wing she doesn't act like it hurts. Do you think it is just strained or could it be broken? I haven't seen her move it much, she seems to be walking fine, but pretty much just sits all balled up (it makes her look fat) with her neck drawn in.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if its broken it will usually be hanging there perhaps dislocated? id there any way you can place it in the correct position and wrap it gently for awhile and see if that helps the healing process?? best wishes

3. Jotaylor

Feb 8, 2013
    Its not hanging but sit lower. I will try to do that when my hubs gets home. She is such a good bird she probably won't mind us doing that. She has been inside with me all day. She is our favorite hen. Should I do both wings or wrap under the good wing?

4. Jotaylor

Feb 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Please help! If you notice her right side sits lower, that is the injured wing. When she tries to flutter up to a higher place she doesn't even use the right wing. Is it broken or just dislocated? My hubs thinks she is suffering and wants to put her down. I don't want to just incase there is something we could do to help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by