Wing issue - what is it?

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
A 2 week old chick with wing feathers that flare out. What is it? Doesn’t seem like a frizzle. Will the chick always have this issue?

6B062713-3FFA-4D92-9431-B1246E11003B.jpeg

We feed regular chick starter. We have 20 chicks, several breeds, but only this one this way.

I had a chick that did something similar, but not as extreme at the end of each feather. He molted a few more times, and the weirdness was totally gone. I still don't know why it happened, but he's perfectly normal smooth feathered now. Pics are Speckle my rooster at 6-8 wks and at 16 weeks. Pretty sure he's a RIR mix egger, probably a Green Queen.

If there's an issue with the foot, if it's curling at all, totally use some poultry cell (B complex vitamin) and raw egg yolk like previous poster said.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220706_144455.jpg
    20220706_144455.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220706_144503.jpg
    20220706_144503.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 2
I had a chick that did something similar, but not as extreme at the end of each feather. He molted a few more times, and the weirdness was totally gone. I still don't know why it happened, but he's perfectly normal smooth feathered now. Pics are Speckle my rooster at 6-8 wks and at 16 weeks. Pretty sure he's a RIR mix egger, probably a Green Queen.

If there's an issue with the foot, if it's curling at all, totally use some poultry cell (B complex vitamin) and raw egg yolk like previous poster said.
Gorgeous rooster!

Is there something wrong with her foot? Are her toes curling? If they are I would add b complex to their water, give her raw yolk too.
No, I dont think there is anything wrong with the foot. We watched them pretty carefully the first several days while they were running around on puppy pee pads (good traction and we can see if any mobility issues). We checked them all 2x per day when changing the pads, and never noticed an issue. Also, when we bring chicks home we always give them NutriDrench vitamins directly followed by water, and often repeat a second dose the second day in case there are any deficiencies. Now they are running around on pine shavings and seem to be doing well. I'll check this one specifically when I go back out, but I think it might be how this one was placed on the counter and a photo quickly taken.

No, I dont think there is anything wrong with the foot. We watched them pretty carefully the first several days while they were running around on puppy pee pads (good traction and we can see if any mobility issues). We checked them all 2x per day when changing the pads, and never noticed an issue. Also, when we bring chicks home we always give them NutriDrench vitamins directly followed by water, and often repeat a second dose the second day in case there are any deficiencies. Now they are running around on pine shavings and seem to be doing well. I'll check this one specifically when I go back out, but I think it might be how this one was placed on the counter and a photo quickly taken.
You're taking excellent care of your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom