wing lifting

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoveNewChicks, Dec 13, 2011.

1. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    i don't know how to lift my 4 month old GSL wing,
    i herd you suppoes'ta trim the flyn' feathers,that right?
    sorry bought' the spellin
    i am tird

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You can search "clipping chicken wings" on Youtube.com to see videos on how to do it. [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Why do you want to clip her wings? There is no "supposed" to it. Only clip if you have a strong reason. If you plan to show your birds, it will be a disqualification. If the bird is staying where it is supposed to be, it is unnecessary. If the bird is escaping by flying over fences, it's bettter to try to raise the fencing level. A bird with clipped wings has less chance of escaping predators.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Just pull it out like it's an arm. Then clip here:

[​IMG]

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    This might just be an old wives tale, but my great-grandmother raised laying hens and from what my dad has told me, she used to cut off the digit-like thing on the end of the wing rather than the primaries. I've never tried it on any of my birds since I want them to be able to fly up and away. I have also heard you only have to trim the flight feathers on one wing. That supposedly keeps them from being able to do sustained flight (like up and over your fence into your garden), but still allows them to get enough lift to flutter up from something chasing them.

6. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    If you plan to show your birds, it will be a disqualification

In most breeds, but not all. The APA Standard allows for wings to be clipped in Canada and Egyptian geese, and Muscovy, East Indie, Call and Mallard ducks. 2010 edition, page 33. It is certainly frowned upon, but it is allowable in these breeds under APA rules.​

7. Narragansett

Nov 8, 2011
    I have also heard you only have to trim the flight feathers on one wing. That supposedly keeps them from being able to do sustained flight (like up and over your fence into your garden), but still allows them to get enough lift to flutter up from something chasing them.

No, you have it the other way around. Trimming one wing, the preferred method to prevent flight, throws them off balance, making them "fly" in a circular pattern if they attempt it. They can't control where they go. Clipping both wings will still allow some breeds to get up and over most fences. They can still fly and control, albeit laboriously, not really sustainable flight, but enough to get out, or to make them harder to catch, except for predators.​

8. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:This is called Pinioning or De-Winging.

9. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:No, you have it the other way around. Trimming one wing, the preferred method to prevent flight, throws them off balance, making them "fly" in a circular pattern if they attempt it. They can't control where they go. Clipping both wings will still allow some breeds to get up and over most fences. They can still fly and control, albeit laboriously, not really sustainable flight, but enough to get out, or to make them harder to catch, except for predators.

Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you hear! Thanks for setting me straight. If I'd tried it, I suppose I'd know first-hand how it worked.

10. Narragansett

Nov 8, 2011
    Quote:This is called Pinioning or De-Winging.

It just amazes me how much incorrect information gets posted on this site.
    The correct name for the "digit-like thing on the end of the wing" is the alular, and no, cutting it off will not prevent flight.
    Pinioning is not removing this digit, pinioning is removing the distal or outer segment of the main wing, and yes, this will prevent flight.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yf...1glKo8&sig=Vmw3paaDAyqW0P6bud-HpEgfH3w&hl=en#
    see page 11

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by