Wing or leg bands 4 permanent ID?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by 3riverschick, May 20, 2017.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Which will be better for show Birds?
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. WhisperingOaks

WhisperingOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I have been looking into this and still trying to decide- thought about toe web punching too. Currently using colored zip ties.

3. Fernie

Fernie Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't show, but have used the wing bands and the leg bands. We were not happy with the wing bands. The leg bands were and still are our favorite bands. We did the various colors so that we could site identify the breed with the color leg band and the feather color we saw. We had a few birds that were similar and it made it easy for us to be sure of the breed.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Thank you for the nice reply

5. Fernie

Fernie Chillin' With My Peeps

We used wing bands on our first flock and found when we were processing the excess males that the wings were torn t the point there was no meat to eat. I felt horrible after and we looked into other methods to mark them. With using the leg bands and various colors we can have 4 breeds that look similar and not get them mixed up for breeding.
    Currently, the flock is young. POL is not until Sept or Oct for the layers and later for the Orpingtons, Marans and Dorkings. It really is all personal preference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by