1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Wing owie?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    About a month ago or maybe a little more, Blue was not flying so hot. Well, landings were here problem. I tried to convince her to walk down the steps in the morning, but she kept trying to fly and crash landed each time. Her last time, she crash landed on the steps and hopped up and ran to the food dish. I realized last week that since then, she's not tried to fly at all and I don't see her use her wings going down the stairs like she used to. This weekend she used one wing going down and not the other and since then I've noticed when she puts her wings out, her right one isn't going out all the way, she's keeping it tucked.
    I scooped her up (she was not thrilled, she knew what was up) and don't see anything visually wrong with it. DH pulled it out a little to see if there was anything under to see an issue with and he didn't see or feel anything either.

She's not using it, so do I need to do anything? Will it heal whatever it is on its own? Since she doesn't try to use it, it doesn't seem like I should wrap it - or should I?

2. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Songster

Apr 22, 2011
    Maybe she finally realized flying wasnt working for her and she gave up? :shrug:

3. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I think she hurt it the last time she flew crappy and crash landed since she landed on the stairs a bit on her side. I think she whacked her wing or something.
    I carried her down the steps each morning for a week after that last crash landing as I didn't want her to keep doing that and hurt herself (guess she probably did!) and then she started just going down the steps instead of waiting for her morning ride down them.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Songster

One of mine hurt her wing and there was nothing visable, it even drooped for awhile and she wouldnt use it.. I kept an eye on her and although it seemed like forever, (prbly a good 2 wks) she slowly started using it again and its perfectly fine... she didnt seem to be in pain and ate and drank fine.
    My Omlet was always crash landing when she was learning to fly and sprained her paddle. [​IMG] ugghh.... I immediately put her in the pond to keep her weight off it and she would try and hop on one foot, I was going to keep her at home but that would have stressed her out really bad so I just kept an eye on her to make sure she ate and drank and she floated alot ,but after a few days she could walk with a limp and within a week, good as new..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by