Wing question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, May 19, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have a Sebbie that is about 2 months old. Today it looked as if she was developing angel wing. I picked her up to look at her and I noticed that the feather shaft was broken so I just pulled the feather off since it was broken all the way around. Well, there was something red, like a tube with in the shaft that stayed behind. What is that? It wasn't bleeding. Although, later that afternoon I noticed the baby had some blood around the area so I put some Blu-Kote on it so the chickens would mess with her. I looked on the other wing and a feather seems weak, not stiff like it should be. Do you think that will break off too? No, I don't have a picture of either side. I could try and get some tomorrow. Grass seems to be her choice in food, she does eat flockraiser, chicken starter-grower which is non medicated and layer pellets. I have feeders all around the yard for all the birds so they definitely get a variety. I even give them greens from the garden. They also have plenty of fresh water. I do know that the sebbie parents have angel wing...... at least one of them. There are several adults and a few of them have angel wing but to know which are actually the babies parent no one knows......... lol. The parents are owned by a friend who gave me 2 babies. I just LOVE these gesse. Is there anything to worry about? I am new at geese and I've never seen this on my ducks, chickens or turkeys...... I'm also new at turkeys.

One more question. I don't know if it's these type of geese but I noticed that the wings have become really big. Not the feathers but the length of the wings. I did notice today that the babies (I have 2) are always pulling there wings up as if they are too heavy. They slide down a bit and they slide them back into place. Is it that the wings have just grown so fast that the birds haven't built up the muscle to keep them in place? It just seem sort of odd. I know they are soft and silky...... lol...... but that can't be why the wings drop.

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    The wings really do get heavy when the flight feathers come in. And the gosling will do a lot of "hitching up" of it's wings during this time. The new flight feathers have a strong blood supply so you were seeing some minor bleeding when the feather came out of the shaft. That will heal fine and grow a new feather before you know it.

As far as angel wing, a droopy wing is very different. Angel wing is where the end joint of the wing twists outward and the flight feathers poke upward instead of stay tucked along the body. I just had a duckling with this and fixed it by watching this video:

http://www.phillipsmediaservices.com/anglewinghispd.wmv

No need to tape up a wing unless you're sure it's angel wing [​IMG]

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The feather that came off was sticking out, away from the bird. There is one feather that is doing the same thing on the other wing, that's how I noticed it. I did tuck the other feather under her wing but noticed they weren't stiff at all but very flexible. I think the female was messing with that feather and broke the shave and that's why it came off so easily. I can't help but laugh when I see the two of the running to me with these huge wings spread out. They are just so oversized for them at this time. I am going to keep an eye on her wings to see what develops. Thanks for the video, I will try to watch it if I can. I have dial up........ need I say more???? UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by