Wing sexing Chicks! You be the judge!

jlovepj1027

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
SoCal
I am not sure what I am looking for with wing sexing. These are my, One day, (some less) old chicks. I have also read that some say bantam Cochins cannot be sexed so young. When vent sexing the only two I was skeptic of was the Silkie and Bantam B. Please give me your best guesses! And thank you in advance BYC!!!
1f604.png

#1 Barbanter (A)

#2 Barbanter (B)

#3 Barbanter (C)

#4 Silkie

#5 Lavender Americauna (A)

#6 Laventer Ameraucana (B)

# 7 Bantam Cochin (A)

#8 Bantam Cochim (B)

You can't wing sex chicks unless they were specifically bred for it by purposely crossing two parents that feather differently to achieve the sex linked feather growth. Unfortunately, looking at the wings of these chicks will tell you nothing.

You can't wing sex chicks unless they were specifically bred for it by purposely crossing two parents that feather differently to achieve the sex linked feather growth. Unfortunately, looking at the wings of these chicks will tell you nothing.

x2

Also, vent sexing is very dangerous and potentially fatal for chicks so you should leave it for the experts unless you have a lot of experience.
smile.png

I know barbanters & Ameraucanas are, and one of the Ameraucanas beak has a comb and the other does not. As for the rest I am not sure.

I know barbanters & Ameraucanas are, and one of the Ameraucanas beak has a comb and the other does not. As for the rest I am not sure.

I'm confused, do you mean the brabanters and ameraucanas aren't purebred but are actually crosses made for wing sexing? You can't feather sex purebred birds unless somehow the parents were of the correct feathering type. Nearly 100% of chicks that can be feather sexed are cross breeds.

I'm confused, do you mean the brabanters and ameraucanas aren't purebred but are actually crosses made for wing sexing? You can't feather sex purebred birds unless somehow the parents were of the correct feathering type. Nearly 100% of chicks that can be feather sexed are cross breeds.
In regards to the Brabnters, I want to say that no they are not 100% pure, and from what my understanding is, most owners of this breed are back and forth on wing sexing being accurate. As for the lavender, the breeder whom I purchased the eggs from said wing sexing has proven to work for her 90% of the time and that they are in fact pure breed. And I do believe what you're saying. Hence why I ask. Perhaps someone notes something I am not aware of, and that they are in fact NOT pure breeds. Like look at the difference already of the Ameraucanas on day two! Wings AND beak.

Also I have also read conflicting things on bantams being able to be wing sexed. But again, I am not an expert in this breed, or in sexing chickens. So that's why I'm here. Any/all information is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom