Wing sexing help needed

hessclan6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have 5 buff orp/barred rock x chicks that are a day old. I was told by a breeder that I should be able to wing sex them. Help, please? (Please excuse my multi colored nails and fingers..we were doing easter egg painting!)

CHICK ONE-

CHICK TWO-

CHICK THREE-

CHICK 4-

CHICK 5-

If they really are able to be wing sexed, then you have, in this order by picture, pullet, cockerel, pullet, pullet, cockerel. Who was the father and who was the mother with these chicks? If the barred rock was the mother they are black sex links anyways and you can tell gender by their coloration.

I am not versed on chicken genetics as I raise turkeys. The mothers of these chicks were recently given to me by a friend. I do know the father is a Buff Orp Roo.

There are three mothers. They are sisters and are buff with black barring. I was told Buff roo x with Barred Rock hen, but wouldn't it be the other way around for them to have the barring present? I ended up with one black chick, one chocolate chick, and three buff chicks.

Nope! If the hens were barred, the sex linking should work. It works best on a black background because it's easier to tell the difference but any barring should work. Males hatch with a white spot on their head, females without. Males will be barred and females will not. it works because a female barred bird has only one copy of the barred gene and she can only pass it down to her sons.

Nope! If the hens were barred, the sex linking should work. It works best on a black background because it's easier to tell the difference but any barring should work. Males hatch with a white spot on their head, females without. Males will be barred and females will not. it works because a female barred bird has only one copy of the barred gene and she can only pass it down to her sons.

Ok, thanks- that's what I was asking. If a mother can only pass barring to her sons, then my hen(s) parent's were Barred Rock Roo crossed with a Buff Orp hen, not the other way around. They were bred with a pure Buff Orp Roo. These are the babies they produced: (None have spots.)

Last edited:
In that case you'll have to try out the feather sexing. Let me know if it works! It's something you usually have to breed specifically for for it to be accurate so it would be interesting to find out if it works with your guys. They're very cute, by the way :love

Back
Top Bottom