Wing Sexing Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Amanda16, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Amanda16

Amanda16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    Our chicks are somewhere between 4-5 days old and I just noticed something interesting, it appears that the longest feathers on their wings rest at different places at their sides when their wings are tucked. Might this have something to do with their genders? If not why is it?
    Some pictures for reference =^-^=
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    This has nothing to do with their gender. Instead, it has to do with their genetics. The most desired chicks, ducks, and poults are those with solid wing (as some of your poults have), but some have a genitive problem known as "split wing" where there is a gap between the primary and secondary (not sure if secondary was the word I was looking for) feathers. However, this problem does not affect them much at all. Severe cases may limit flight, but not anything major.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amanda16

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    oh, ok, thank you =^-^=

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    In turkeys this is relatively common in certain breeds. At least one poster made the observation that all of his poults that had "angel wing" turned out to be toms. I have noticed this in Bourbon Red poults and one time in a Blue Slate poult. The Bourbon Red poults all developed it at an early stage and to the best of my knowledge were toms. The Blue Slate that developed it, had it occur at a more advanced age around 4 to 6 weeks and it indeed was a tom.

All of the young poults quickly grew out of it and were fine later on. The older poult also grew out of it and was fine.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amanda16

Mar 1, 2017
    Dewey, AZ
    ours are little bronze turkeys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by