Wing sexing your chicks??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teresa-78, Jan 29, 2011.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Is it possible to wing sex your chicks?? I have watched some videos on youtube showing this....

2 different sized pin feathers = girl

Same sized pin feathers = boys

I have polish chicks and just wondered whether this would work??

Thanks for everyone's input [​IMG]

ETA- I just checked my 4 polish chicks, and 3 have the 2 different sized pin feathers, and 1 has stumpier and the same sized pin feathers...

This would be great if it works [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    You can with some breeds, but I don't know if you can with Polishes. I just know that you can do it with at least Delawares [​IMG]

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    We hatched 2 russian orloffs, 1 had same size the other different. They are almost a month now I think..we will see if the wing sexing worked when they are older lol.

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I have taken a note of the ones with same size, and different sized, im so hoping this will work as it would make it so much easier, [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It works only if the father has the slow feathering gene. Many if not most hatchery stock has been selected for males with this trait.

6. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Oh, Do the polish have this gene??? because I did see polish chicks in the crates, white crested black, im sure they were....

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I don't think polish have that gene, from what I have seen that is one of the breeds most hatcheries do not sex and if they lack that gene it may be the reason for that.

We tried it with a friends white crested black chicks last year and it did not work...

8. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Oh what a shame, they were probably in the crate for vent sexing then.. shame that would have made it so much easier lol.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    One of my dom hatchery strains can be feather sexed. I think the hatchery introduced barred plymouth rock to enable. If I am correct, two different slow feathering loci or alleles are out there. It is the slowest that is used for sexing. The other is the one is typical of most of the fluffy breeds.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may can do it with some Delawares, if the line is bred for that trait, but not all. The particular line must be bred for it; doesn't just work on any chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by