wing sexing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Countrypunk92, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Ive heard the new method of sexing is the wing pin feathers, but I dont know which is which. If the even is hen and uneven roo or visa versa. Is it acurate?

2. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I have tried this with my EE and it did not work well. I guessed wrong on half of them [​IMG]. This is not a fool proof way at all and I'm not even sure if it works on all breeds or not. They say it can only be done when they are about 2-4 days old. But yes, if you search youtube wing sexing there are some videos you can watch. The theory is that if there are two "layers" of feathers on wings then it's a female. If the wing feathers are all the same lenght then it is male.

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    there are videos online about it. I just watched one yesterday from Murry McMurry. I think it has to be done on day one or two. That is how the hatcheries do it. It also showed how to vent sex and it is MESSY!!
    The Video said chick sexing started in Japan, and that is why all the sexers at McMurry are Japanese.
    Females are feathered out at end of stem, males are not.

Google chicken sexing and you can watch all the videos.

pam in TX

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Breed / strain has to be setup to contain slow feathering allele on Z-chromosome (sex-linked). Males have two Z-chromosomes so they get double dose of slow feathering allele which retards their feather development more than in female siblings with only on copy. To my knowledge, only a few breeds / strains have the sex-linked slow feathering allele incorporated into them.

5. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    For years ive thought the string and nail or ring trick was bogus... Until i tried it today.... I am astonished..

6. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:What trick is that?

7. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:What trick is that?

If you tie a string onto a ring or nail, and hold it over any animal if it swings in straight line its a male, if it swings in a circle its a female.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Um, so how did this fellow know it worked if he only tried it today? Even vent sexing isn't 100%, so if it were chicks with "known" sex, even that can be wrong.

9. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:Noone said it was 100 percent accurate, All I ment was it wasnt as bogus as I thought. Idk how it does it but it seems to work. I took it to adult birds and chicks . It circled over every adult female and swung straight over every male afult bird. I even tried to debunk it. By holding my fingeres tightly so they dont move, tighing it on a stick, even looked at the not.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Uh-oh... Not this debate again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by