wing sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whiskey69169, Mar 31, 2015.

1. whiskey69169

whiskey69169 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Florida
    Can you wing sex any age chicken and how accurate is it, not sure if I'm doing it right

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    This page explains it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

LINK at BYC

You'll see the table explaining which breeds crossed with other breeds it works on. It's a little ways down the page.

Quick answer: From my understanding, you can only do wing feather sexing when you make (or have) hybird or crossbreed chicks. It's because K (the feathering gene) can be fast feathering, slow feathering, or ... something else ... I think there's K1, K2, and K3. If you cross a fast feathering with a slow feathering, then the pullets have longer feathers on their wings, but the cockerals have short feathers. The K genes are sex-linked and so the females only give the feathering gene to their sons. Or something like this.

The female will have longer feathers on the furthest portion of the wing. The male will have shorter feathers than the female. But this doesn't work on regular breeds. It just works on cross breeds and hybrids (so sometimes on White Leghorns). Meaning that if you you some New Hampshires, you can't wing feather sex them and if you have Buff Orpingtons, you can't wing feather sex them.

I think it's a fairly convoluted concept, and Igave up on it a long time ago since I don't usually order any crossbreeds. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Oops. I forgot to answer your question! I think you can wing feather sex up to 3 days of age. I think it's best to do it on the first day, though. As for accuracy ... well, very high if all the prerequisites are met. [​IMG] It's meeting the prereqs that gets difficult.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Spangled has done a great job answering your question.

6. whiskey69169

Mar 30, 2015
    Florida
    Roosters have pointed feathers and hens have rounded feathers, can you tell this when they're a week or two old?

7. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Not any time in the 1-6 week period! Pointy male feathers usually show up around 10-16 weeks ... at least that how mine have always worked, but I have never marked it on the calendar ... so ... I guess I'm not that much help. The males get pointy hackle (neck) and saddle (right in front of tail) feathers. The pullets' are rounded in those places. But usually (not always) you can already tell male/female by the comb/wattles before they get that old.

What kind of chicks do you have? (Just a friendly, chit-chat question. [​IMG])

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    No. This distinction cannot be seen until the birds are completed feathered and the roosters begin to develop the longer, more pointed hackle and saddle feathers.

1 person likes this.
  9. whiskey69169

Mar 30, 2015
    Florida
    I know I have 2 Rhode island whites, and 1 white Leghorn the other 3 its still a toss up I'm thinking 1 white Cochin and 2 red cochin but I'm not to sure because they were in the bin with the white leghorns. I do know they are not leghorns though because they are feather footed.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by