Wing versus fence

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickgal, Oct 28, 2011.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    I had a real scare this afternoon. I looked out my window to check on my two hens, seems to be a habit of mine, and I noticed one of them laying right up against the fence with her head sticking out. She was just sitting there real still which is very unusual. They do like to poke their head out and get bugs or munch on the weeds. But she was not moving. I ran out there to see what was going on. She had some how poked her wing through the fence and it was caught. I hollered for my DH to come and help me with her. He got on the outside of the fence and we very gently got her wing back through the fence. I checked her over and nothing seemed broken or out of place. She got up and stared for a minute at the fence (bad fence!), then went about her normal way of looking for bugs (on the inside). I kept checking on her several times and she was just fine and tonight she got up in the roost, no problem. WHEW! I just don't need that kind of a thrill in my day. I think what happened is she was taking a dust bath and got tangled up in the fence.

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Poor baby! Glad she was alright. Sometimes getting them un-stuck does more damage. Good save!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by