Wings droopy, shaking.. SICK, BELOVED ROOSTER - PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by st16795, Nov 17, 2010.

1. st16795

st16795 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    This is my second time posting, the last one got nothing. This time I'll try to make it easier to read.

Breed: Old English Game Crele Bantam (Uno)

Symptoms:
    -Sitting down the majority of the time, on his knees.
    -When he actually does stand, it is for a semi-short period of time and he is really wobbly and uses his wings for balance.
    -His wings and tail droop/hang down when he stands.
    -Occasionally shakes or shivers.
    -It seems to me like he's favoring one foot over the other when he stands still, but when he moves, he uses both.
    -No runny nose, a tiny bit of crust around his nostrils, hardly noticeable. I've heard him sneeze maybe twice, but they could have been normal sneezes.

Other Info:
    -His poop looks normal, and if anything, it smells a little acrid, or bitter, I suppose. Light brown color with some occasional mushy poo that's the dark chocolate pudding type.
    -His eyes are not closed in a sickly way. They stay open and alert, if not a little spacey as of lately.
    -He crows like he normally does.
    -He is an indoor bird, he lives in a cage in my basement.
    -I occasionally give him little bugs and crawlies that I find like grasshoppers, crickets, and flies, and spiders.

What I've been doing:
    -Originally I gave him poli-vi-sol (used for 5 days) in his water but then I switched to electrolytes (now used for 3 days).
    -Up until the point he got sick, he ate medicated chick starter. Now, for the past 8 days, I've been giving him a mix of starter, layer, and high protein turkey starter. Last night I changed the starter to grower in that mix.
    -Every night I've been giving him a quarter sized drop of yogurt with things mixed in such as peanut butter and banana.

And one last thing.. I've noticed something strange since he started acting sickly. There's a spot, directly behind both of his thighs, where if I lightly push, he hunches up and starts furiously shivering.

Any ideas or suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated, bumps too. I can post pictures, also, if anyone needs them. Please help me.. I love this little guy so much..

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds to me like he may have injured himself. Have you checked the bottom of his foot for a black scab or swelling?

You said he lives in a cage? Is he on a wire bottom? How big is this cage?

3. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Oh, thank you for the reply. I've thought about that, but I don't think I remember him doing anything (like falling) that could've hurt him.. It would have to be an internal sort for me not to be able to see it. There's no scab and I don't see any swelling or bruising either.

Yes, he lives in a little bird hutch that's about 1ftx2ft. It's got a solid bottom, covered in newspaper, which I change every night.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Has he eaten anything latley?

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor thing. [​IMG]
    Is he is that tiny cage 24/7 ?
    Has he been able to exercise?
    If allowed out could he have gotten into something in the basement that injured him?

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:All I can say is [​IMG] . Love is a very good thing, but proper care is FAR more important!

Rooster, over a year old, living in a 12" x 24" cage in the basement and on medicated starter feed until he got sick. I sincerely hope there are details you left out.

I've read your other post, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are killing this rooster by inches. Everybody has to learn sometime.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=419683

Chickens are social animals, and roosters need a flock.
    They are basically like livestock, they need a lot of time outside.
    After 16-18 weeks a chicken should be on adult food.
    If he's shivering when you press a spot, it's likely because of pain.

I am trying to tell you to do a LOT of research on BYC regarding raising chickens. Please do it, you may save your rooster.

7. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    i<3chickens :

Has he eaten anything latley?

Ooh, yes, I forgot to say that! He eats well (he's kind of a piggy, actually.. [​IMG]) and whenever I offer him a treat he gobbles it up.​

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think you really need to rethink keeping him, if he survives and find him a better home. Kept in a small cage in a basement for a year on chick starter, it's no wonder he is ill. Chickens are flock birds and do better in a group....not penned by themselves in a basement.

9. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:All I can say is [​IMG] . Love is a very good thing, but proper care is FAR more important!

Rooster, over a year old, living in a 12" x 24" cage in the basement and on medicated starter feed until he got sick. I sincerely hope there are details you left out.

I've read your other post, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are killing this rooster by inches. Everybody has to learn sometime.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=419683

Chickens are social animals, and roosters need a flock.
    They are basically like livestock, they need a lot of time outside.
    After 16-18 weeks a chicken should be on adult food.
    If he's shivering when you press a spot, it's likely because of pain.

I am trying to tell you to do a LOT of research on BYC regarding raising chickens. Please do it, you may save your rooster.

*sighs* Ugh.. I'm such a bad chicken mother.. Of course, you're right, he needs to be outside with the other chickies. I know it's a terrible excuse but, in my mind, I've loved him to much for him to go out into the "cold, cruel" world. He was my first baby to hatch my first time incubating, and was the only to hatch out of more than twenty eggs..
    Some jerky feedstore lady told naive me that she keeps her chicks on starter until they're a year old and then does the switch to because it's better for their livers. Pfft.. now I know.. I'll be completely moving him off that starter as soon as possible.
    He doesn't stay cooped up down there throughout the whole day. When I get home in the afternoon he comes out with me and walks around the house. I was actually trying to get some diapies for him to wear..

Why would he be in pain? Maybe I've been researching the wrong thing all along.. Maybe instead of a disease, I should have been considering the possibility that he is deficient.. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Also to add my 2 cents, Does this rooster ever get any sunshine? He could have a vitamin defeciency [sp] And like the rest said he needs a flock it's important!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by