1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wings hanging low?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madisan, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Madisan

Madisan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    Hi everyone,
    So I have a 16 week old pullet. For the past few days I've noticed she's just been standing around the coop with her eyes halfway closed. Not running around like she used to do. And when I picked her up this morning she seems lighter then I remember her being. And she stinks and seems weaker too.. And I noticed she is hanging both her wings low... Anyone know what this could be a sign of?

2. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    My advice is to get some fluids into her. Even if its just sugar water. Wings hanging is never a good sign.

3. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    How would I get fluids into her? With a dropper? And how much?

4. blkjak

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Yes with a dropper if she wont drink on her own. Just a little at first. You have to be careful that it doesn't go into her lungs. Electrolytes in first then if she will eat give her cooked eggs or yogurt. Hopefully she will drink on her own.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What do her droppings look like? She is still at an age where coccidiosis could be a problem, especially if she has diarrhea or blood in droppings, is lethargic, hunched, not eating, and weak. Corid is the treatment for that. Drooping wings can be a sign of dehydration, but also can be a sign of Mareks disease. I would think about treating with Corid, but she definitely needs fluid. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid, per gallon of water for 5 days. Have you wormed your flock? Valbazen is very good to use. Here is alink about cocci: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx

6. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    She is drinking on her own and her eating habits haven't changed from what I've seen. I haven't been around to watch her droppings lately that's definitely something I'll be looking for

7. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    Oh and yes I've wormed them

8. blkjak

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Drinking and eating on her own are good signs. Hopefully you have caught whatever it is early enough she will fight it off.

9. KristineY

KristineY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Howell, NJ
    I have a similar issue in a 4 mo old bird that I thought was a pullet but now appears to be a cockerel. (Although he seems to relate more with the girls, is not crowing and the two other mature Roos are not bothering him at all. He has always walked with his wings a bit low and slightly open. I've isolated him to keep an eye on him but he seems fine otherwise.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she smell bad around her head and face, or just in general? How does her crop feel? Does she have any nasal or eye drainage, rattly breathing, or cough/sneeze? Is she doing any better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by