Wings hanging low...

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
I recently noticed my female Rouen, Darcy, has these feathers on her wings that hang lower than they should. She seems healthy and it doesn't look like angel wing to me. (They've never been fed too much protein anyway). So I'm not too concerned. Just thought I'd see if any of you know why the feathers are doing that. It's the feathers below the blue ones (when the wings are closed). The ones closest to her belly. They just hang down toward the ground instead of being tucked in close to her body. I know pics help so I'll try to get one when I go back out to change their pool water.

I recently noticed my female Rouen, Darcy, has these feathers on her wings that hang lower than they should. She seems healthy and it doesn't look like angel wing to me. (They've never been fed too much protein anyway). So I'm not too concerned. Just thought I'd see if any of you know why the feathers are doing that. It's the feathers below the blue ones (when the wings are closed). The ones closest to her belly. They just hang down toward the ground instead of being tucked in close to her body. I know pics help so I'll try to get one when I go back out to change their pool water.
Are these new feather coming in? how old and yes pics would help a lot.

I am also looking for answers to a wing problem?? My black female's wings are coming in sticking out like paddles. Some of the feathers are approx. 4 inches long. They are twisted sideways and almost upside down??? She can flap her wings and that looks okay, but the wing feathers stick out like paddles instead of smoothed back against her body?? Anyone help???

I am also looking for answers to a wing problem?? My black female's wings are coming in sticking out like paddles. Some of the feathers are approx. 4 inches long. They are twisted sideways and almost upside down??? She can flap her wings and that looks okay, but the wing feathers stick out like paddles instead of smoothed back against her body?? Anyone help???
Sounds like Angel wing, how old is your duck? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial#post_8682154

Last edited:

Sounds like how one of my girls was when she was younger (see picture). She just needed a little extra time for those muscles to strengthen, then her feathers were held in place quite nicely. Does it look like this did?

Yes, it does look like that. But not as bad. She's 11 weeks old. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get a pic yet. Thanks for the pic Valntyn. That makes me feel better.

I have an adult, call hen. Her wing is hanging down just like this, but shes an adult and laying eggs. Any ideas? It was fine yesterday. I`m feeding her flock raiser and corn. I`ll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom