Wings popping out?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JulieNKC, Jun 3, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I processed 4 of my meaties today. I tied their legs, hung them upside down and slit their throats. Everything went fine, they went quick, but when they were flapping the wing came apart on 2. Is this normal? The only chicken I have processed before was a BO roo, he didn't seem so delicate.

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    They don't really have a lot of strength to make it through the death throes and if they are "loose" meaning the wings aren't contained somehow, they can and will break. That's why cones are popular (I just lower them into a bucket), or even duct taping around the bird so they can't flap much.

3. fair weather chicken

fair weather chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    ah duct tape it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG]

lol

And interesting topic. I didn't know this could happen without restraining them.

5. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    normal

6. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Yeah, it's normal. I don't process mine -- the Amish do. I know they take good care of them for me, but I may have one or two of the bunch who break a wing in the process of being butchered. They use the hatchet method and so there's some flopping that goes on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by