WINNERS ANNOUNCED Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures, Fall-Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways' started by BYC Project Manager, Sep 12, 2013.

1. BYC Project Manager

BYC Project Manager Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member Project Manager

Feb 22, 2009

It's that time of year again where our birds start their metamorphosis into... well, okay, they don't turn into anything, but it sure is interesting to see them go through their molting process and leaving feathers all over the place! [​IMG]

The contest is simple: Post pictures of your birds in the worst part of their molt. Once we're past the molting season our esteemed panel of judges will pick a loser... er... winner! [​IMG]

We will have two categories: "Frizzle" and "All Other Breeds" (on account of Frizzles having some pretty bad molting genes and they really need their own category! [​IMG]).

There will be one winner per category and each will receive a free 6 month GFM for themselves or a friend.

The rules are simple too:
    1. Must be your chicken
    2. Must be a picture taken THIS YEAR, so probably within the last few weeks and over the next couple months (depending on your climate, birds, etc.)
    3. Must say which category you're entering in

Good luck to you and your ugly... er.. molting chickens! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one of the winners from last year's contest, submitted by Barbedwirecat:
    [​IMG]

Contest ends 12/31/13!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    When my chickens molt I will enter.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Would a picture taken in January count, since it was this year even though it was more than a few weeks ago? I had a hen go almost completely bald in January and I have a picture of her wearing a pink dress I made to keep her warm. :lol: I didn't think to get a picture of her before I put the dress on, though, so all you can really see is her pin-feathered wings.

ETA: Oops, I guess I wasn't reading very thoroughly. I just noticed the title of the thread. Nevermind. ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yeah!! This is always my favorite contest!! Will never forget kung foo henny from last year!!

5. hen madame

hen madame Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Oh my! I hope someone knit that poor chicken a sweater.

1 person likes this.
  6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Gosh, that chicken looks ready for the pot! Darn, I had one that looked pretty rough, but all my chickens are just about done with their molting now.

1 person likes this.
  7. kmessman

kmessman New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Wow. I hope my girls never get to looking that bad, lol. Poor chickie.

8. 5chickenmutts

5chickenmutts Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Graniteville, Vermont
    Oh my gosh! Is this what my flock is gonna look like? They are starting their first molt. My rooster has lost only his tail feathers so far. I'm a little scared for them. Do they make chicken sweaters?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  9. CluckinghamPal

CluckinghamPal Out Of The Brooder

newbie dumb question - do chickens molt their first year? Ours are only 30 odd weeks old

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Some do, yes. I had several do that the past couple years. However most usually wait til their second year to molt. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by