Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures, Fall-Winter 2013

Yikes! I was beginning to worry, we have a few pretty "naked" chickens. This is the 1st molt we have had. This has been going on for a few months, how long does it continue and is there something I can do to help get their feathers back before it gets too cold?

Yikes! I was beginning to worry, we have a few pretty "naked" chickens. This is the 1st molt we have had. This has been going on for a few months, how long does it continue and is there something I can do to help get their feathers back before it gets too cold?

my girls are only 5 months. They just had their juvenile molt which was very mild. Some lost all their tail feathers and there was some piles of little feathers in the coop each morning but nothing too noticeable. Maybe I'll get to enter next year.

Yikes!  I was beginning to worry, we have a few pretty "naked" chickens.  This is the 1st molt we have had.  This has been going on for a few months, how long does it continue and is there something I can do to help get their feathers back before it gets too cold?

Higher protein feed would help. It takes protein to make feathers, which is why hens will not lay during molt.

It's a little warm where I live, so I shall post them later. My rooster is starting to molt, but it's not that bad
lol.png

I have a question about chickens that moult in cold weather climates since we're coming up on that time very soon. I live in CT and have six chickens....we will have a heating source for them in their coop for the winter but what if they moult....will they be able to keep warm enough?

Oh Honey, do I have some pictures for you. I have one that looks about that bad. I feel so bad for her that I brought her into the house to keep her warmer with her friend. I will submit pictures tomorrow.
I need to make her a fleece coat. I'm really bummed because in Fairbanks, AK we already have snow. Our fall was quite shortlived. We didn't get spring until June and now we are getting winter in mid Sept.

Haha, this is by far the best BYC contest!
One of my chickens is really molting! I will get pics sometime.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Oh My Stars! That poor chicken. This is the BEST contest ever!!!! Can't wait to see more pics. Mine are only 20 weeks old and going thru a mild molt. Good luck everyone!

Back
Top Bottom