1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Winnie's Prolapsed Oviduct

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valerierose, Sep 12, 2009.

  1. valerierose

    valerierose Hatching

    Sep 12, 2009
    Hello, my name is Valerie and I keep an on-line diary at www.stan1.co.uk The diary in the main is about 5 EX Battery Chickens I recently acquired but this sad story is about one of my other three girls called Winniefred.

    When I opened up the Old Girls (in my diary I refer to the old girls being the first three chickens I have) coop on Sunday August 30th all the girls came out but I noticed blood on the coop floor and on one of the nest boxes. Quickly looking around I saw Henrietta pecking at Winniefred's rear as she was trying to get back in to the coop. I could see that the blood was coming from Winnie so I picked her up and put her out of the run and into the garden while I cleaned and fed the rest of the girls.

    On closer inspection I could see that her vent was protruding and cut from what I assumed was due to her being pecked at. I bathed the wound and put back down in to the garden.

    I did not have a clue what was wrong so I went on-line to search for an answer. It wasn't long before I came to the realization that Winnie was suffering from a Prolapsed Oviduct (also known as prolapsed vent or blowout). Unfortunately I don't have an image as I was far too stressed to get the camera.

    According to what I had read this could have been caused from her age (but I was told she is only 1 year old when we got her 4 months ago), from laying large eggs (but to the best of my knowledge she has not laid an egg since we got her, although there has been the occasional egg with no shell or part shell and for which I was treating her) or that there may be an egg lodged inside her which I checked for as soon as I discovered her condition and found none. Another reason that has been cited is the size of the bird but although all my girls are spoiled a bit she is the same weight and size as the other two old girls at around 2 Kg.

    All that aside I have started treating her according to the information I have obtained.

    I bathed her again and wiped away any blood and the white substance around her vent. Next I gently pushed the vent back in but it came back out after a few seconds. I tried pushing it again but it came back out. So as not to distress her anymore I then put some Vaseline around the vent and put her back in to the garden.

    As it was not a very good idea to put her back with the rest of the girls for fear of them pecking at her, and at worst killing her, I put her in a box in the shed and left her there to rest and after reading more I discovered that she should be kept separate from the rest of the girls for at least 2 weeks and to cut down her diet to just a little corn so as not induce her into laying.

    Later that day I check on her – she did not look well and was just standing still in the box. I had read that she may die or if she got worse the best thing to do was to put her down so that she would not suffer. I can tell you now ... I was not very keen on the idea of putting her to sleep without giving her the best chance possible, but of course if she did show signs of being in pain I feared there may be no alternative.

    I gave her a little sweet corn and some water, talked to her for a while, then left her alone until morning.

    The next day, after a worrying night thinking about her, I got her out the box and gave her a bath, removing the dried feces and discharge from around her rear. I then dried her off and let her in to the garden making sure she had access to clean water and some grain. While watching her I noticed that there was flies continually landing on her so I decided that rather than have flies around her and the danger of her getting infected with maggots to put her back in the box in the shed with a cover over it. Over the day I continually checked on her making sure she had water and that the box was clean. Each time I looked in on her she didn't move much and made a low clucking noise – like telling me she was not well.

    Tuesday morning I took her out of the shed and bathed and dried her, after which I coated her vent with sugar as I had read that sugar or honey can help to reduce the swelling by drawing out the excess fluid. I then cleaned out her box put in fresh straw, water and grain and returned her to the shed looking in on her over the day to make sure she was OK

    I repeated the treatment as on Tuesday for the next 3 days giving her a little time in the garden to stretch her legs and see her old friends. She didn't do much around the garden but walk slowly around a small area giving the occasional peck at something in the grass – over these 4 days I noticed that her vent was slowly dripping a clear/white substance. This I assumed was the result of the sugar I had being putting on her.

    On Saturday I decided to take Winnie out the box in the shed and make a little run for her in the Garden. This I did by adapting a babies cot and a child's tidy bin for a bed . She seemed to like it and soon settled down to the environment and at night went into her bed.

    Sunday I let her out in to the garden while I cleaned out her little run and did look a little perkier. Later that day when I looked out she had managed to get up on the bird bath eating the bird feed I leave there. At dinner time when I went up to fed the rest of the girls I gave her a little chopped up fruit which she enjoyed and when I later went to lock up the girls for the night she had already gone to bed.

    Monday morning Winnie seemed a little better but not really doing much, drinking alright but not eating her corn. I gave her a bath around mid-day and there was still a slight discharge from her vent. At dinner time I gave her a little of the Yorkshire Pudding and veg I was giving to the other girls which she ate all up.

    Tuesday was a good day as by all accounts Winnie does seem to be on the mend. Early in the morning I let her out in to the garden while I cleaned out her run and bed and, as it was a nice day, left her to roam around the garden. The mess in the run was more normal than it has been and she does look a lot better, she even went up to the gate of the ex-bats and gave Braveheart a peck as he poked his head out. Around 1pm I gave her some fish which she readily ate, coming to me for more. I then bathed her bottom and was so pleased to see that her vent seems to have gone back in and there is no more discharge. I will let you know how the rest of the days goes on my next post.

    Don't forget you can read more about my girls on my Ex-Battery Chicken Diary at www.stand1.co.uk
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

  2. meriruka

    meriruka Songster

    Oct 18, 2007
    Go Winnie! I hope she recovers completely!
  3. Elchick

    Elchick In the Brooder

    May 28, 2008
    Oh i hope Winnie will be ok! I have two hens with protruding (or prolapsed as you put it) vents as well. I've never done any research on it, I assumed it was a genetic flaw or a result of their old age, so I never saw it as a problem. Admittedly, though, they are prone to poo-caked, blocked vents and frequent lice infestations, and their vents have proved a popular host for maggots. But I treat each problem as it comes and they live happy, healthy lives for the most part. Whenever the other birds begin pecking at their vents again I simply blu-kote them, and that immediately solves the problem. So even if Winnie's vent continues to be a problem, I'm sure it can be managed relatively well and she can continue to live her little chicken life. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by