Winter additives

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doxies1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I know it is a good idea to add cracked corn, for fat in the cold winter. My question is should I add it in the form of scratch or cracked corn. The cracked corn is a lot cheaper and if it's the corn that adds fat, it's my guess that the corn should suffice

2. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    I put cayenne pepper in the food every other feed. I'm under the impression it increases the blood circulation and is a preventative for a few things. It's also known to increase egg production. Again, these are things I've read here on BYC and I'm by no means an expert. I'm learning something new everyday. I've also read to give them the cracked corn the last hour or so before they roost. I forget why though

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It helps to heat them up for the night [carbs]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    ANY carb helps them make heat, not just corn, but any food does too. Added corn also reduces protein intake. The only change I've made is to up the protein.

5. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wouldn't the cayenne taste hot to them? My 5 are on the finicky side of food and turn their little noses (ahh, beaks) up at much of what other hens eat. Any suggestions on how to get them accustomed to the flavor?

6. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Guineas and I guess chickens do not have heat repceptors.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I switch to more whole grains in the winter as I allow a natural slow down in production and it's cheaper to feed the whole grains. I also like to give them that variety when they can no longer glean a variety of things on their normal forage range. When the snow has been on for some time I also add a little alfalfa to the feed. Cracked corn is a small part of my mix.

Actually, when it comes to "heating" a chicken up before bedtime, one has to remember that digestion diverts a lot of the blood supply to the digestive tract and away from the periphery, so the core may heat up but the extremities go lacking a little. Since the core is already well protected by down and feathers, I don't find it a great idea to feed before bedtime in the winter. Winter time is when I feed in the morning.

In the summer I feed in the evenings to complete their foraged diet, to give them a full belly before bed and, if they are going to have a hot core, I'd rather it be in the cool of the night when their activity level is low also.

8. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    That sure makes sense then - I used cayenne to overcome a problem I used to have circulation in my hands and feet, and know folks who've used to to increase circulation in heart problems. Just never would of thought of it for the girls!!! THanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by