Winter and Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kensangell, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kensangell

kensangell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    Smethport Pennsylvania
    Since I am new to being a chicken addict, I really have a lot of questions. I did try to find a thread about this and had no luck with the thousands of posts. What I need to know is with the impending doom of another winter just around the corner, can my chickens hang out in the snow?? I know this sounds silly but I just don't want them to go stir crazy being cooped up all winter long. Are warmer sunny winter days okay or can they just come and go all winter in and out of the coop like in summer? I know they can get frostbite on their combs and such, but not sure about anything else. Help!!!!!

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have mine in a coop and run and they do as they please but it only gets down to the low 20s feed them corn chops in he winter it good for heat for their bodies

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We cover parts of our run so they dont have to walk in deep snow. We also heat the water bin so it doesnt freeze up. The only time we keep them locked up is when it goes below -15F. at that temp they dont venture out on their own for more than a few minutes at a time so we just keep the coop closed up to cut off drafts and conserve whatever heat they generate.

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    Quote:id listen to them on this one they are from alaska hahaha i am in the desert so no help here on snow hahahah [​IMG]

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:corn chops ?

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

Not surprisingly, you're not the only person thinking about this topic right now. Here's a thread from a few days ago that might assist you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79799

The
    original question is from a chicken owner in Michigan, but the answers can be applied to any situation where the birds may be out in the snow.

See you around BYC!

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:corn chops ?

I think it's the same as cracked corn, that's what my feed store calls it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by