winter and dust baths

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DrakeJake, Jan 11, 2011.

1. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    whts best way to make this happen, dustbaths in winter. i figure ill get out the small kiddy wading pool, add sand and dig up dirt from under the snow and maybe bake it if i have too dry it out (sounds crazy but ill try anything once) anyone with an experienced idea?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just the sand should be fine.

3. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    thank you. i was thinking about grinding up some of the oyster shell and mixing with sand,but if sands good enough that saves me work

4. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    We just use DE (food grade) in the coop with Pine Shavings- one of my BA's can't wait she knows when she sees the bag of shavings. With the deep litter method they get a good dusting usually before the rain starts or when needed! [​IMG]

5. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Adding pure wood ashes from a fireplace/woodstove works too. Not the fake log ashes or coal or charcoal.

6. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    What's DE?

7. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    keep wanting to ask same question...yah...what is it

8. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I'm going to make a shallow box for my girls to dust bathe in during winter and put it out in the run. I'm doing deep litter but it seems to pack pretty solid unless I stir it up with my boot. There's plenty of DE in there though, if they can get it roughed up enough to bathe.

9. OrphanNanny

OrphanNanny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    DE is Diatomaceous Earth....I get it at Fleet Farm, pretty cheap and the chickens think it's great for their dust baths [​IMG]

10. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    oh crap...forgot the abbreviation. i checked into that but its pretty costly here anyway. $90 for a small bag...holy crap. i did get a bag of sand yesterday and found out my birds dont have mites...i thought it was a normal thing and thats why they dustbathed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by