Winter and New chickens

Kerrie Ann

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Berkley , Ma
Hello - First question I have is what is the best way to introduce new chickens to the hen house? Second question is how many eggs will I get in the winter I live in MA?

I have no answer for you, but I wait to hear what everyone else has to say becuase i have the same question. I live in Mass too, are you in the east or western part of the state?

Are you talking about introducing new hens to a coop that already has chickens in it? Winter egg production depends a lot on how old the chickens are. My pullets lay all winter and it gets down to about 15 degrees here in the California mountains. My more mature hens lay almost nothing when it gets real cold.
sad.png

Quote:
The best way is to separate them with a wire fence in your run/coop for about a month. Then when you put them together watch for any serious fighting but realize that a "pecking order" must be established. Separate food and water is sometimes necessary.
big_smile.png

You will have integration issues. It cannot be rushed. The best method is to have them "side by side" for a few weeks, getting introduced through a mesh divider. Still, when the day comes that the net comes down, it can be brutal for a day or two. They have to sort it out their way and their way is sometimes rough.

I am not sure how to do that I only have one coop and one runner any sugestions? I have an old dog crate that will fit 2 large yellow labs maybe that will work?

Not to be a fly in the ointment, but I hope you're talking about integration after a 30 day quarantine? I've read many threads from heartbroken chicken owners who just go out and get more chickens and integrate them right away, only to have the entire flock sickened or lost because one or more new chickens were sick with something that was not apparent at purchase. Quarantine only works if the chickens are completely separated a distance from one another and don't even share the same free range area for a full 30 days. After that time (and all's well) the integration process should begin.
On the upside, YAY! more chickens.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom