Winter and raising chicks

ezmoney

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Jacksonville
First let me say I'm new at raising baby chicks in the wintertime I've never attempted it before but I have a need to now so I've run into a couple questions on raising and incubating eggs in colder months like December and in January my first big question is humidity in the incubator I have a GQF model 1502 Incubator and I have eggs going in every week and eggs coming down every week or let me say chicks being born every week. When I move the eggs down on the 18th day I try to raise the humidity level on the 19th date to about 75 to 80% and I prefer 80% but in the winter months I've found that the humidity level in my house his droped down to about 40% because of the heat I used to heat the house that's making it hard to bring the humidity level in the incubator up to 80% and I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas about raising the humidity in a 1502 Incubator up to about 80% where the chicks don't have a hard time Hatching . I guess what I'm asking is there a better material out there to use for wicking then the sponge material that GQF Sales? Or possibly put it in a air pump like in a aquarium with a bar in the bottom of the water tray to create bubbles to create more humidity in the air. My second question is simply this. three week old baby chicks in a brooder box at 75° is that too cool or about right?

As for the chicks. That's a little cool for 3 weeks. A better choice is a bigger space with a warmer spot (heat lamp) and lots of cool space and let the chicks decide. That simulates nature - a hot hen and cold ambient air.

A bubbler may work. Pumping air from a humidifier is a possibility.

I don't go over 65% humidity.

I hatched out chicks and they are 4 weeks old I put them in a brooder box with a hanging heat lamp. I don't know the temp, but I see them wandering under and away from it so I am not worrying about it. I had them in the house as long as I could. my coop is heated too so they are fine. some people say "chickens as long as they are 6 weeks old they can withstand any temp."I don't go by that. I even heat my hens and I am still getting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom