Winter apple treast for my girls

WayneCountyGuy

Hatching
Jan 31, 2016
Hi everyone! I have visited BYC a number of times, but decided to join because I thought folks might enjoy the following info:

Every year when my wife made applesauce with her Vcitorio Strainer I looked at the "leavings" and thought, "There ought to be some way to use this."

Well, this past fall I finally figured it out: I packaged up all the apple cores, and then packaged the leavings from the strainer. Put them all in one-quart zip-lock baggies and froze them. I think my wife only did three bushels this year, but I got * dozens * of little baggies full of cores and "smushed" apple stuff.

Now, I set out a bag a day before to thaw, and then give them to my girls. My flock of six Barred Rocks gets a fresh fruit treat almost every day. They love it and I am pleased because now, nothing goes to waste.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Wow that takes me back to my childhood, in the late summer my mom and her sisters would take us kids out to the apple orchards to pick several truck loads of apples and spent the rest of the month cooking and canning apples and the apple core's were saved for the horses and the chickens ya nothing should go to waste on the farm and that is probably why I have very little trash to this day ...

Keep up the good work and I hope to see you around the trends
caf.gif

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Do limit the number of apple cores ( the seeds are not good for us or the flock)

Personally dumped loads in the compost and then read about the dangers of the seeds and was quite upset. But it takes a large amount to be a problem.

Welcome to BYC - great that you have joined. I hope you will enjoy being a member as much as your chickens like apples
smile.png

CT

Back
Top Bottom