winter broodies.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalator, Oct 25, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    can i mak a hen broody during the winter? has annybody tried this:/

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I just found one of my hens broody today. She has 11 eggs under her I didn't even know she was laying. So yeah they can go broody in winter.

3. chickalator

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    im gonna give it a try.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You cant make a hen broody !!!!! Its a hormonal thing !!!!! When she is ready she will !!! What breed/age is she ???

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This is true you cannot make a hen go broody she will do that on her own if she is ready and is a broody type breed. Some hens refuse to go broody or are very bad broodies.

Mine is a silkie which is a known breed to be very broody and she has proven this time and time again.

Let nature do its job if your hen wants to go broody she will you cannot make her.

6. chickalator

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    ahhhhh my friend. it can be done with a litle coaxing. my friend and i have developed a breed for brooding. ill tell you three of the breeds barred cochin, and, buff orpington, and, blue silkie, but he fourth, i keep a secret. its hard to keep these girls off of the nest. ive caught one sitting on a large rock. people love these birds. there the best mothers ive ever found. w enjoy making or own breeds.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    You want broodie. Get a black tailed Japanese banty. I am telling you we have 5 every time one has hatched her brood another one goes broodie. Right now we have 2 hens sitting on the same nest I know I saw at least 10 eggs in there. The last one hatched hers 1 week ago. They freerange so you really have to watch for them When you can't find the eggs. lookout someone is broodie again.lol

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Well silkies are known for being broody so doesnt surprise me that they go broody a lot, not sure about the other breeds, But still disagree about making a hen go broody !!!! Unless you are "making" them sit on a nest by not letting them move !!! A hen will go broody when she wants !!!

9. chickalator

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    im not forcing them. but i cant stop em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by