Winter care for barred rocks in Georgia

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bmill88, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bmill88

bmill88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Hello my fellow chicken lovers!

My husband and are having a bit of a dilemma when it comes to how we care for our 3 feathered ladies during the winter. The winters in Georgia are very mild, the coldest temperatures are usually in the 20s and that's generally at night. Our coop is very small, one of those "coops" in a box that can hold up to 6 chickens with two nesting boxes attatched, and a caged run located around it. They free range during the day all day. We don't really provide heat to their coop area due to many horror stories about fires or chickens dying from being over heated. The only difference I see in their behavior is that they are not producing as many eggs. We went from 3 eggs a day to 1. My husband is very concerned, due to the freezing temps at night and our humid and rainy weather. I think they are fine because they are barred rocks and can handle cold weather like champs. Should we do something? And if so, what should we do?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They will be fine. The Plymouth Rock breed was developed in Massachusetts.

3. bmill88

Apr 29, 2016

I think so too. I don't think it gets cold enough here in Georgia to need to supply a heat source. I do get concerned a bit when it rains all day because they tend to stand in the rain instead of seeking shelter in their coop/run area. And they can be a little damp putting them in their coop at night

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It rains almost constantly here. Mine don't care. And Rocks were developed prior to electricity and heated coops. They were designed to survive a New England winter. Yours probably aren't even the slightest bit cold.

5. bmill88

Apr 29, 2016
    That's what I figured, thank you for your input!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by