Winter care for my hens

Annalee Robin

Chirping
Aug 25, 2018
Hello Friends, I am relatively new to the world of owning hens. I love my girls so much, and I want them to have a clean and healthy environment. I've been cleaning their coop weekly and we just had our first snow this past week in Connecticut. I feel that it's not good to let them go outside their coop in the snow- I don't want them to get frostbite. Should I use the deep litter method and spot clean their coop until the snow melts? I'd appreciate your advice very much. Thank you so much and Happy Thanksgiving to all my new friends out there! Best, Annalee

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends, I am relatively new to the world of owning hens. I love my girls so much, and I want them to have a clean and healthy environment. I've been cleaning their coop weekly and we just had our first snow this past week in Connecticut. I feel that it's not good to let them go outside their coop in the snow- I don't want them to get frostbite. Should I use the deep litter method and spot clean their coop until the snow melts? I'd appreciate your advice very much. Thank you so much and Happy Thanksgiving to all my new friends out there! Best, Annalee
Hello Annalee!
The DLM is more of a process than just not cleaning the coop until the snow melts. If you just stir up your current bedding you should be fine. However, your chickens will be absolutely fine and will appreciate the option to go out in the snow if they want. Mine are all out roaming around in it right now. They won't get frostbite just because they are walking in snow.
You may want to shovel some paths through it if they do not have an enclosed, covered run to explore. I have paths all around my house and one that leads up to and around a very large shrub in their pen that they enjoy hanging out it. I have paths that lead to shelter in case a hawk flies over.
Happy winter!

Annalee Robin

Chirping
Aug 25, 2018
Hello Annalee!
The DLM is more of a process than just not cleaning the coop until the snow melts. If you just stir up your current bedding you should be fine. However, your chickens will be absolutely fine and will appreciate the option to go out in the snow if they want. Mine are all out roaming around in it right now. They won't get frostbite just because they are walking in snow.
You may want to shovel some paths through it if they do not have an enclosed, covered run to explore. I have paths all around my house and one that leads up to and around a very large shrub in their pen that they enjoy hanging out it. I have paths that lead to shelter in case a hawk flies over.
Happy winter!
Thank you so much! I feel so much better now! Happy Winter and Happy Thanksgiving to you! Best, Annalee

Top Bottom