1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Care For My Rouens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dinomom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dinomom

dinomom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Hello, at Easter time this past spring we hatched 2 male Rouens. We cared for them and when they were big enough we let them go in the 3 acre lake we have behind our house. They come back 1 or 2 times a day to eat but the rest of the time they are on or around the lake, even to sleep. They are always together never moving more than a few feet from each other. Needless to say our family has become very attached to these 2 little guys, we're able to watch them from the back window of our house. My question is; how do we care for them in the winter? If we need to provide them with shelter and a heat lamp will they know to come into it when needed? I guess it would have to be in our back yard because it's our subdivison lake behind our yard. They only come into our yard to eat then back to the lake they go very quickly like they're not comfortable away from the lake.
    Also, just out of curiosity, will our 2 guys always stay together or will they eventually split up. They're are no other rouens on our lake the only other "friends" they have are some passing through Mallards. Should we get more in the spring, Maybe a female or two?
    Thanks for your help.

2. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011
    I would really appreciate any advice, it's getting cold out there!

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    You don't need to provide a heat lamp, those guys are tough! We had rouens this past winter that did great outside. Just provide them with a little shelter to get out of the cold winds, packed full of straw or bedding and they'll be fine! They just need somewhere to dry off a bit. Maybe you could build something along the lines of a dog house by the lake? They'd use that I'm sure. [​IMG]

4. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011
    Thank you for your response, would this house need a door on it? Would they be safe in there? I just saw some dog houses on CL that would probably work!

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I wouldn't think so. Our hatchery here (and we live in cold Minnesota) only has those igloo doghouses outside for their birds during the winter and those don't have doors on them. I would try to keep them out of the direct wind if I could though, just so that it's not blowing around in there, even though I know that's not possible all the time, it's worth a shot! [​IMG]

6. dinomom

Apr 23, 2011
    Great info. thanks so much!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The main reason other than protection from the winds is from predators, if they come off the lake they will be pardon the pun sitting ducks for all kinds of predators. so the need a house that can be lockedup at night, with a good floor that nothing can dig under or tear up.

8. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Were in northern WI, our Rouens have a small shelter it used to be a kids playhouse works great and looks nice next to our pond. They actually go in it every night, we have hay, water(heated water bucket for winter) and feed inside of the shelter. They like to spend the day by the pond which we have one of those tank heaters that sits at the bottom, keeps about half the pond from freezing totally over. They go into the shelter at dusk and I shut the door.

If you understand not locking them up and are willing to take the chance of predators eating them then yes a dog house is just fine. But otherwise a more secure shelter is better.

9. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Oh also the only reason people will say to have closed shelters, is because although they seem wild they are not. They are domesticated ducks that can't fly and will not survive on there own with out human help.

For next spring if you want females it is best with 2 males to have at least 4-5 females to help prevent overmating and fights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by