Winter Care for Wooden Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Blue Bubbles, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Blue Bubbles

Blue Bubbles Just Hatched

May 18, 2016
    Northants, UK
    Hello,

I have a small wooden coop for my 3 hens they have a large run attached and can free range around the garden when we are at home.

Being very new to chicken keeping this will be our first winter with the girls and whilst we are having a mild autumn here in the UK I want to start getting everything ready for winter before its too late. I did a big clean of the coop this morning and it would have taken all day to dry (I resorted to using my hair dryer) and that's on a particularly nice day so I am dreading doing this in winter.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean out a wooden coop in winter and make the drying process a bit quicker? My girls really weren't happy this morning as it was taking so long and wanted to get in the coop, I hate hearing the disgruntled squawks and getting stink eye so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BB

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Um...don't use any liquids?

I never use anything wet to 'clean' my coop.
    I use a shallow bed of a sand/zeolite mix on roost board and sift the poops out every other day.
    Pine shavings on floor only get changed out once a year.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You don't need to completely disinfect a coop. And trying to keep it spotless is an exercise in futility. Just ensure that there is ample ventilation, and change the litter out as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by