1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter care of ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by prov31mom23, Oct 20, 2013.

1. prov31mom23

prov31mom23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    We have three Khaki Campbell ducks that we got as day old ducklings in May. We are winterizing and prepping our coop for the harsh reality that winter is on its way. We have a nipple watering system inside and out what we have wrapped with heat cable but I don't imagine the water from the watering system will be sufficient for the ducks in the winter. Their outdoor "pond" is a kiddie pool that we refill every several days. I don't know how we'd keep it ice-free in the winter.

I'm looking for information about what ducks need in the winter as well as how to provide them with access to fresh water even in sub-freezing temps. What have you done? What do you recommend?

Thank you!

2. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    We use pans of water with heat lamp hanging over them in one area and a heated dog dish in another area. The heat lamp works well unless it gets below zero. This way they still have a chance to dip their bills in water. Give them shelter from the wind and some straw to snuggle into. They don't seem to mind cold weather. The like to go outside during the winter unlike our chickens. Depending on how cold it gets you might have problems with the nipple waterer freezing where the water comes out. We had a heated tank of water in the barn because we couldn't use hoses during the winter. We had to use a blow dryer to thaw the spigot a few times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by