Winter Care

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by squat, Dec 13, 2008.

1. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    I am very concerned about our hens because of the icy wind and snow that we are having in Salt Lake City Utah. We have a small wooden coop for our six hens. There is a screened ventilation part at the very top, and also a small door opening. The door of the coop faces north and allows the chickens to come in and out of our pasture without excaping into our driveway. The problem is that the cold winter air comes from the north and is blowing right into the door of the coop. I put a small clear plastic covering over the top 2/3 of the door opening to try and minimize the wind, but it's so strong that it still blows snowflakes and cold air into the coop.

I put a few barriers in front of the coop door to try and lessen the air blowing through, but it wasn't enough, so I finally put a plywood board in front of the door so that the chickens would freeze and have the cold air blowing on them all day.

I am very worried about having the cold freezing air blowing into the coop door and blowing wood shavings and even snow around inside the coop. It's not possible to turn the door opening so that it faces a different direction, besides the wind doesn't always come from the north anyway.

I thought about leaning a large piece of plywood against the front of the coop so that any cold air would hit the plywood and travel up and over the top of the coop, rather than inside, but I'm not sure if that will be adequate.

I'm open for any suggestions or advice about keeping my hens comfortable and avoiding them getting sick from this cold wind.

Thank you,

Squat

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I think that leaning a large piece of plywood over the side of the coop that the door is on, like a 'lean too', would really help a lot.

Could you stack some straw bales in front of the door, and kind of box in an 'entryway' out of straw bales? With a little opening for them to come out of?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I like both of green's suggestions. I think a piece of plywood leaning against the coop would work as a wind block. Or try the hay bales, making the sort of the entrance you'd imagine on a igloo.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Some folks wrap their coops with a tarp during Winter storms.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by