1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I live in Michigan
    My question is ... what do I do for winter to keep
    my 7 chickens warm? I have them in an old rabbit hutch. [​IMG]

I have no way of totally keeping the drafts out.
    Would covering them completely with a tarp and lots
    of hay do the job?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Make sure its draft free...and when the temps dip too low, put in a lamp....for warmth.

3. livinggreen

livinggreen Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    Where are you in MI? I'm also new to chickens this year...I'm in Clarkston. My husband and I were discussing the same thing about how cold it gets in the winter. I have a shed that they use that is pretty draft free. I think the lamp will be the best solution. That way if it's too cold at night they can huddle under it for warmth.

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I'm in Michigan too! In the base of the thumb, kind of by Port Huron...

This is my first year with chickens, so in anticipation of the Michigan winters, I insulated the walls in my coop. I also plan on running an extension cord from the pole barn so I can keep a heat lamp in there, if necessary. I think I also need to invest in one of those heated watering bowls...

5. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    I'm not sure what I'll need. Maryland doesn't get horrible winters but we'll get down to freezing temperatures during winter. I'm interested in this also. We're in the process of deigning and building our coop - right now our 4 are in a large vari-kennel dog crate.

6. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I am just south of Clare, in the middle of the mitt. [​IMG]

7. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    I reccomend the light buld and switching from woodchips or shaving to hay or straw.Blocks out the cold better for the babys.Or you can just bring them into the house with you and let them sleep in the bed.............joke,lol:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by