1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Care

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How should I care for my bobs during winter?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do they like the snow?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm not a Bobwhite keeper, but I'd guess it's pretty much like it is with Coturnix and chickens. Make sure they have a place to get out of the snow/cold -- some sort of shelter that they can get into. Bobwhites live in the wild in many places, even Wisconsin (though their range now only includes a portion of the state there.) If they can survive a Wisconsin winter, then they probably don't need a ton of fancy winter care.

My guess would be to make sure they have water that isn't frozen, provide them a dry, sheltered area out of the wind (perhaps line it with something like hay to insulate it - but only if the hay will stay dry!). Someone else will have to answer in regard to any nutritional needs/differences in the winter.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Plenty of food...........make sure their water does not freeze..................keep'em dry.....................and have a place from them to get out of the wind. Other than that, if you wanna go a little further.........put'em some hay in their pen if it has a wire floor, but expect it to get matted with poop in a couple of days, depending on how many you have......... However, they fair well with just the wire floor in frigid temps.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Any other tips?

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Send'em to Canola Lake or Kingsford Pit every chance you get to cut down on the maintenance....... [​IMG]

8. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    NOW I get it!!! HAHA!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I raised mine on the ground here in NC. They had areas to get out of the weather (actually old rural mailboxes) Plastic on one side to keep out the prevailing winds. I used clippings from Lowe's and tossed out Christmas trees to give them places where they could huddle if they wanted to. We had a LOT of snow last year and they did just fine.

I've always raised my Bobs on the ground. I'm working on a XL hoop coop with oneside to raise groups of babies and the other as a grow out/flight pen. Only small areas will be covered like now. Mother Nature takes care of most of my dirty work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by