Winter chicken land

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by roseyred, Dec 5, 2014.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    I want to share my adorable chicken winter home with you all. They have a huge horse stall to call there home for the winter, sealed off with some places for air to vent and so far the stall is always warmer than outside. I also didn't clean the stall for a few weeks before moving them in so there'd be lots of warm decomposing poop and lots of bugs. I made them this little corner nest box. It's pretty dark in the stall corners anyway so they don't mind that it has no top to it. As you can see there filling it with feathers and laying daily still! I put up roosts an they decided the hay net witch is very cold rods and very thin, was where they wanted to sleep...until they started falling into the hay net. I was scared one was gonna hurt itself so I put that board over it and secured it thinking they won't go up there if it's not a roost...well lol they love it and I think it'll be nice for the cold. They all fit on there snuggly and snuggle eachother to keep warm. Ofcourse they still have the choice f the roost where they hang out during the day sometimes but they really like there up high platform. I also think the higher they are the warmer they'll be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Pocahontas. She's 10 month old wyandotte and the sweetest of my hens...except when she's laying lol. But this morning she let me reach under her and get the eggs from the others so I could cook breakfast. What a sweetie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are cute. It seems like chickens usually prefer the highest roost that they can reach.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They all look quite happy! Good for you! Enjoy!

4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    They are my children lol I love themmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by