1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wdmnerc, Oct 4, 2011.

1. wdmnerc

wdmnerc New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    I now have 7 chickens, 6 hens and 1 rooster. Have the chance to get a few more for a total of 14. Is it better to have a few more for warmth in the winter? Thanks, Eric.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    As long as you have room for the extra chickens, with a properly ventilated coop for them. What you DON'T want, is to have 14 chickens packed like sardines in a small, poorly ventilated coop. Recommended space is 4 square ft. per bird. Some people say you can go with 2 square ft. per bird, But in the winter time, when they may be forced (Depending on where you live) to stay in the coop for days to weeks on end, the more space the better. Don't get hung up on providing extra warmth for the chickens, The can handle cold weather quite well. Just give them a dry well ventilated place to live and they will do well. If you see frost on the inside walls of the coop during the winter, That's a sure sign you don't have enough air exchange (Ventilation) in the coop.
    Jack

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    All they need is 2 sq ft per a bird and that is according to the Storey's poultry book
    Michele

4. wdmnerc

wdmnerc New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks for the info.

5. alclark29

alclark29 New Egg

May 23, 2012
    I purchased a coop from hayneedle and worried about the winter time. The walls are not insullated. Should I place a blanket or quilt over the coop? I can run an extension cord for heat tape or a plant heating mat if needed. Looking for some ideas, I am in Maryland and winters can vary quite a bit,

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    If you have breeds that are suited to colder climates, you really don't have much to worry about. As long as they have somewhere dry where they can shelter to get out of the wind (but is well ventilated to keep humidity down), they'll be good. They wear down-filled coats, you know? [​IMG]

If you click on "My Coop" under my avatar, you can see what our little coop looks like. Not insulated at all, just made from exterior plywood. In the winter, we closed all of the vent holes except one of the gables and one at the the floor level. Our flock had no problems at all and never cared about the cold or the wind, though they hated snow. [​IMG]

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    If not in coops, birds roost in trees all year round! Don't worry your chickens will be fine. In deepest coldest winter mine preferred to be outside in the snow and cold even when they could have sheltered inside. Go figure!:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by