ElleSpokane

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2018
I got some gorgeous Barnevelders and Silkies at the end of November. I've been brooding them in my house, but they're getting crowded in their brooder. I'm not sure when I can put them outside. The temps dip below freezing at night. They have a large Formex coop that they'll be going into, with a cozy flat panel heater. Any ideas when they'll have a chance at all surviving? Any tips?

Thanks!

Hello there, Elle! Personally, I think your chicks will be JUST fine if you put them out there now. :) Especially with supplemental heat. Maybe put them out there tomorrow to let them get used to the cold temp, and then bring them in at night. Then the day after that, keep them out there [permanently]. My chicks were getting accustomed to cold temperatures at an early age, too, and I never gave them a heat lamp (for so many weeks, I did put a small, somewhat weak-heating reptile pad underneath their thick tote I brooded them in, though).
Chickens are generally very cold hardy, and hardy in general. In fact, if your chicks aren't quite fully feathered yet, then that might help them grow in the rest of their feathers more quickly. :)
And for the record, I highly doubt those chicks are going to freeze to death.

I have a broody hen in an outside coop with chicks a bit younger than yours; they're doing fine. There is a heat lamp, but for the most part the coop is unheated and cold. I've raised many chicks during the winter and as long as there's a heated area for them to run to they do well. The chicks are polish/Yokohama crosses. I also rear serama and other small bantams all winter. Tennessee winter get down into the twenties and teens. So far this winter has been pretty mild.

I raised chicks in the winter the same way when I lived in WI. Wisconsin winters are not mild.

Thanks guys for giving me some encouragement. I'm putting them outside tonight. We'll see how it goes!

Maybe put them out there tomorrow to let them get used to the cold temp, and then bring them in at night.

That is what I like to do.

Depending on temps they might get to sleep inside every night for a week, out every day, before they stay out for good.

The above slow "kicking outside" method is more important if the temp difference is huge between what they are used to and the coop.

If they are huddled in a corner and not moving around much then they are too cold (or could just be scared about their new surroundings).

But if they walk around and explore then you know they are good!

My broody bantam Cochin hatched a single chick on November 29th.
They were kept in our garage for several weeks where the temp was about 50 degrees.
They’ been out in the coop for several weeks now and are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom