1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Celtic Hill, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    if i were to hatch chicks this january is there anything different i would have to do with them then i would normally do?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just make sure you have a good heat lamp. We are in the teens at night here and my newly hatched chicks are doing great with the lamp in the garage.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    And a back up heat lamp, just in case. I have been thankful for that a few times

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Plus have a plan B and C, in case of power failure from bad weather, etc. etc.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Power failure is easy - move the chicks to the car, in boxes and crank up the heat.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Have a big enough brooder for them to stay in for a longer time.

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    build a brooder longer and taller than you would use in the warmer months. that way they can stay in there longer. i have two heat lamps in mine and one is set on a thermostat. it only comes on if the other one burns out or if the temps drop far enough to need more heat. and always have extra lamps on hand. i have a back up generator just for the barn and bators.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We hatch year round..the winter chicks will live in the basement longer than the spring chicks though..We start them in big rubbermaid tubs and move them to rabbit cages-they stack and are wider than breeding bird cages usually plus cheaper.Chicks love them since they can see what's going on and better ventilation.
    Always have spare heat bulbs and we have a generator set up for year around use with power outages..tornado,flood or ice we are ready [​IMG] your not moving a few hundred chicks to my car [​IMG] and won't help the bators much

9. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Gonna order an assortment of brown egg pullets soon. My chicken house is unheated, uninsulated. The "nursery" is 9' x 9' and has solid wood floor with deep pine shaving bedding. It is also predator proof. I have several heat lamps.

Should I section off a smaller area for my expected 60 new babies?
    What is the easiest way to keep litter out of the food & water?
    Would I be better advised to keep them in the slightly heated mudroom for a month or so?

I am in IOWA, winter gets COLD.

On another question.
    I have 55 assorted laying hens, that are now producing 5 - 10 eggs daily. About a third of them are under 2 years old.
    I have a "day light" in the henhouse, and windows. Their indoor area is more than 20' x 12' so space is not an issue. They have access to a large pasture during the day.

Should I cull the non-layers now or wait for Spring?
    What more can I do to increase production?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by