WINTER CHILL

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cherrychicken, Aug 23, 2008.

1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    here where we live sometimes it gets to about -10 degrees i guess i could put a heat lamp in there but the fire hazard seems high, what should i do if anything? can my girls take it with nothing? i have 6 chickens that are all almost 4 months old right now they are:
    1 buff cochin
    2 black cochins
    2 red sex links
    i golden laced polish

thanks,
    jenny

2. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Your in New Mexico? It gets that cold there....and I was thinking of spending my winters there when I retire.

3. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Quote:yes, here in santa fe it is very nice any warm in the summer, but can be bitter in the winter, but i love it!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you have a draft free enviroment with a nice south facing window, they will be fine. Keep them in when its really cold, we here in Maine, some insulate, heat and that type of thing, I do not. If the power should go out, they would freeze. I want to make sure my girls are ready for these temps. I change the water 2 and 3 times a day, they still lay eggs and everything else runs normal.
    I do use cardboard on the ceiling and plastic hanging 1/4 way down on the door to keep the warm air in when I open the door.
    Never lost a hen yet from cold.

5. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    I drove thru New Mexico when I was in the service years ago. It was January and the desert was in full bloom. It was beautiful country. I have kept cochins along with RIR, and Barred Rocks thru some nasty cold Michigan winters and they did fine without heat. I'm scared of heat lamps too...All that dry litter makes for a fire trap.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Unless you get weeks on end with single digit temps, really there is no need to heat. If heated too high, it can do more harm than good when the bids go out.

7. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    ok thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by