1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter coming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by khowell31875, Nov 16, 2008.

1. khowell31875

khowell31875 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    I have 4 BRs, 3 silkies, and 1 who knows. I am in central NC with a 4x8 coop. Do I need to put a heat lamp in at night? If so, how cold is too cold? I have noticed the silkies huddle together in one corner and the others line up next to each other on one of the roosts inside. Is there any reason the silkies choose not to roost?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If your coop has no drafts, your chickens should be fine during a NC winter.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    As long as you keep your water liquid its going to be warm enough in your coop. Up here in Alaska we use a heat lamp aimed at our waterer inside the coop and thats it. We have birds roosting outside all night long in below freezing conditions with no ill effects. as long as you can prevent drafts they will be just fine.

Its been my experience that the little sikies just have to much fluff over and around their eyes to see good enough to roost up high, it could also be your coops pecking order. the higher the bird is on the pecking chain the higher they get to roost. Our silkies have a roost that is 1 foot of the ground and a nest box thats ~ 2-3 feet high, they get into the nest box just fine but usually only 1 is on the roost 1 is in the box and 2 are in the corner on the ground.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I would not give them a heat lamp, that way they don't expect any special treatment LOL;). They're designed to live outside, so as long as they have shelter.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I second my DH... but the silkies stay lower because they have difficulty flying. Ours have always stayed low to the ground.

I was very grateful that I had not spoiled my birds with extra heat this year. We lost power after dark last night, twice, for an hour or two. Since no one was dependent upon the extra heat, every one was fine. [​IMG] We're in the 10-20°F range right now, but have dipped to -2°F already and still have girls sleeping outside of their own free will.

6. That is just too funny that they roost in the trees when it is that cold. They must really love it. We add no heat, and the water froze by morning once. I changed it, then it warmed up enough to keep from freezing.

Do chickens drink at night? Its pitch black, I cant imagine they get off the roost in the dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by