Winter Coop Hoop! YAY I did it before the snow!

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
25976_winter_coop_from_front_porch_view.jpg

In-hoop temp 10 am this morn! outside temp 52 degrees
25976_temp_in_covered_hoop.jpg

Their new pop door DH built for them, with sand to keep little Mr VultureHocks from getting his white feathers all mucky:
25976_winter_hoop_covered.jpg

Let's see how well this stands up to actual weather! Its 8mil clear window plastic, $48 at Menard's. It came in 12ft rolls. With any luck, the hawk will poke a few air vent holes right in the top. It was all sparkly with frozen frost at 7am
fl.gif

Nice! I just covered my run with 6mm plastic. It's really nice how much warmer it stays. Like a little greenhouse!

The view from my backyard, as I leave my back porch on my way to the garage. I feel so proud I made this.
25976_winter_hoop_backyard_view.jpg

hmm.png
but we can plainly see no chickens in it.

They'll be in there when forced by snowdrifts
lau.gif
and ice
gig.gif
OMG they'll even have to eat CHICKEN FEED! instead of foraging through the leaves!

I do love it when they eat their feed all winter, it makes them gorgeous little tooties.

Last edited:
wee.gif
on this cold and rainy day, the chickens choose their new hoop over my porch! HOORAY!

25976_hoop_chicken_cold_rainy_day.jpg

Is this enough space for them? They're bantams. Here's 10 in the hoop just hangin out, there are 2 in the coop laying eggs, and Donna the EE is out chasing rainbows and raindrops because she's a nut:

25976_hoop_chickens_is_this_enough_room.jpg

I think its about 11 or 14 feet X 5 feet. I should add some more perch space higher up, too, for more levels.

Back
Top Bottom