1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Coop Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kherokee, Dec 9, 2014.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    I have my lovely hen currently inside my house, free to roam my basement where it's heated. She also has a large cage with a nesting box, waterer, feeder, and perch. Problem is, she's messy! Another problem is it's 30 below outside and last year we were struck with a heavy blizzard that kept us indoors for days. I don't want her freezing, but I also hate the mess. It looks like a New York sidewalk, lol!
    I was thinking of trying the 'chicken diaper' from mypetchicken.com ?

2. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    I have a part time house chicken, she sleeps inside and spends most of her days outside. I havn't tried a chicken diaper for her. If you like to sew (?) you could try making her a chicken diaper. The ones on mypetchicken.com are expensive, but might be worth a try. Only thing is, how do you know if you're getting one that fits? Is it -30 C or F? It's -20 norm where I live that's Celcius, but -30 anyway is cold!
    My coop is a former pumphouse that has some vents but no windows. It is heavily insulated and it's great for my 7 hens and 1 roo, but I don't know where you'd get a pumphouse! I'll look around and see if I can get any other ideas. Do you have any other chickens? If you don't it might be better to just keep your hen inside.
    Hope this helps :)

3. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    I do love to sew, thats a great idea. but since my hen was rescued, she's scared of people and i dont like to chase her around. (if you have any bonding techniques please let me know ahaha!) But at night it gets to around 0F. Right now we're going through a heavy flash flood thats lasted for a good 4 days which is soon to create ice and snow. she's the only chicken I have currently and no other chickens to share body warmth with, sadly.

4. spitfirecream15

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    okay, if she's an only chicken I would keep her inside. as for bonding techniques: my pet hen was attached to me from the get-go even though she was raised by a hen. I'm not sure.. is she scared when you approach her? can she be picked up easily or do you have to chase her first?? the more time she spends inside with you the more friendly she will get. at least from my experiences with chickens, that's how it works. too bad about the crummy weather. what kind of chicken do you have?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    she runs when I come near her, sadly, so picking her up is a chase. she's a blue sumatra chicken.

6. spitfirecream15

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    oh! she must be beautiful. I love sumatra's :D

7. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    I do love her to death! I just wish we could become closer. small cages don't work for her, she'll start making rooster sounds that wake us up when she's ready to leave her cage. (Its a huge cage, big enough to fit my mastiff in, haha!)

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have one pullet inside right now. I keep her in a kennel during the day with pine shavings, water, and food. I bought a diaper (after many failed attempts at making my own haha) from louises country closet for much less than mypetchicken. It's waterproof inside so it's super easy to clean and the straps are adjustable and elastic.

It's a godsend. While I was waiting for the diaper in the mail I was constantly putting newspaper in new places and cleaning like mad. It was fun for no one.

Have you tried sitting with her for a while and giving her snacks? Has she been with you a while? Maybe this indoor experience will help her feel more comfortable with you :)

1 person likes this.
  9. spitfirecream15

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    What kind of place was she in when you rescued her?? maybe she has bad memories of people and that may be why she's scared.

10. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    @spitfirecream15 she was at a school farm. she was one of the 'ugly show chickens that wouldnt do well in shows' so she was next in line to be sold to this woman who gives live chickens to her GSD because he likes live game.

she never really interacted with people and if she did, she was chased and brutally handled either being picked up by the feathers, wings, legs, or neck, then throw into a small cage. keep in mind, she was around 5 months old and a sumatra so her feathers are very fragile.

she's recovered enough to molt into brand new feathers and start putting on weight and laying eggs which shows me she's become more comfortable because a stressed pullet wouldnt lay or gain weight or stand on my computer haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by