Winter Coop Lighting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmgirllvo, Nov 12, 2016.

1. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I'm wondering what kind of lights to put in my coop for winter, it's just to keep them laying.
    Can lights? What kind of light bulb is the best? I know no heat lamps.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depending on the size of your coop......
    ......just a heat lamp fixture/shade with a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb will work fine.
    Do not use 'heavy duty'...'work safe'.... bulbs with coating on it....the fumes from coating can kill them.
    A CFL with equivalent wattage will work too.

Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

3. Silvia2234

Silvia2234 Chillin' With My Peeps

We put a red heat lamp for night and day, and we have a white heat lamp only for daytime.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I use a heat lamp fixture with a 7 watt dimmable daylight LED, 40 watt equivalent. You can get a 10 watt, 60 watt equivalent, if you have a large coop. Supposed to last 22 years at 3 hours a day. Look for DAYLIGHT not soft white.[​IMG] I turn a light on at 5am in the coop and I have 2-60 watt equivalent LEDs outside the coop to light up the pen.[​IMG] At 9am I dim the light in the coop to use as a nightlight so they can see to jump onto the roost at sunset. I close the coop and shut off the nightlight a half hour after sunset. My 5 girls are still laying 5 eggs a day, most days. GC

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by