Winter Coop Redesign **Photos**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheeptrick, Jan 4, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...my coop was and is holding up well...snow falling off top nicely...when I open the door in the morning water font NOT frozen. You cannot see the window I put in on the door on the other side in the winter picture. Never quite got around to installing the vent door at the eve...so we stapled plastic in there to keep it somewhat warmer.
    Problems with this design...
    1. The roof design keeps snow off but then the snow slides down in front of the egg doors...which means I've got to shovel MORE snow just to get the eggs.
    2. The RUN roof collapsed with the weight of the snow...bent completely in and we just took it off. We will have to rework this situation in the spring. We are going to just make a very large RUN around the trees behind the coop. They always seem to enjoy roosting in the trees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DH took a cooler of 14 dozen eggs to work today! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    cute, very winterized, [​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I cannot believe all that snow!! I will have to stop whining about our 30 - 40 degree mornings!!!

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Wow! That's a lot of snow. I've been having some of the same issues with my coop and want to change some things in the spring. I need more vents, but it will have to wait. I just need to figure out where to install them w/out causing a draft....tricky.

Where have you been? Missed your postings.

Love your set up!

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow....the is sure pretty...we never see that much snow.........glad you go to redo your coop.........it's nice......

6. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    I've missed my BYC chatting pals too...
    Actually I GOT a J*O*B! Friend started his own business and he begged me to come aboard and help with start ups...its a Financial/Credit Counseling business. DH and kids miss me terrible...so I cut back on the hours and I've more time for my chicken friends!! Only working 20 hours a week now in the evening. Its nice to go to work to have some quiet TIME! LOL

I knew I was in trouble when my DH told me he wanted to have another baby...so I decided I'd better cut BACK my hours to cure him of his insanity!! [​IMG]

4 wouldn't be bad though... [​IMG]

[​IMG] Am I insane too? No...just madly in love with a man and my sweet family!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by