1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter coop venting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lauren212, Dec 17, 2016.

1. lauren212

lauren212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I built a coop this summer and it's 5x5 ft for 5 birds. It's inside a large 12x12 dog kennel. Im in northern Ontario and last week it was -26 C for a few nights. One of my birds has a tiny bit of frostbite on her comb. I have the top of the two walls in between the rafters open with chicken wire for venting. No heat lamp in coop but I do have to keep the heated chicken waterer inside the coop. I was wondering if the vents above the chickens head should be blocked off incase a draft is coming down. The vents are about 1.5 feet above there heads. Or is it better to have them open for more ventilation to let the moisture out.
    Thanks

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A "tiny bit of frostbite" on 20% of your birds is not too much cold damage.

Also we don't know what brand of chicken you are talking about.

A hen with a big old floppy straight comb naturally has more susceptibility to cold damage than tiny combed hens.

3. lauren212

lauren212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I have two barred rocks a red and black sexlink and a New Hampshire cross. It's the black and red sexlink s that have just one or two tips that have some black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by