1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EJFSCF, Oct 14, 2011.

1. EJFSCF

EJFSCF New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    we are just getting our hens, Rhode Island Reds. They are already laying, not sure how old they are on average.
    Will a hoop/tractor coop be enough for winter in Alabama?

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. EJFSCF

EJFSCF New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks! Looks like we should be fine right? Well ventilated and a good place for them to huddle together... Right?

4. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    As long as there is no draft they should be fine. But I've learned its like kids Be Prepared for any and all problems [​IMG]

5. EJFSCF

EJFSCF New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Oh, I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions. But I'm really excited to see that this board is really active and I will be able to get LOTS of advice and suggestions.

6. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Your in Alabama, no such thing as cold in Alabama, trust me. You chickens can survive in your deep freezer. as a matter of fact it is 30* colder here than your deep freezer. They could be in a chicken wire coop and be just fine. Anything more than that is conveniece for you and protection for them (from predators not cold).

Keep in mind thousands of different kinds of birds live outside every day, where all of us live, without a coop, ample water, free food, etc. If you find yourself wondering about stuff just look at pheasants, grouse, etc in the wild. Where they live, living conditions, algae and poo in every drop water, moldy old and sometimes fresh food, where and how they sleep (in trees or bushes), how they protect themselves from predators, etc.

I am not suggesting to give your chickens bad food or dirty water, I just try to keep things in perspective and try to keep them as close to their natural instincts, behavior and nutrition as possible.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    Beware the warning this place is as addictive as the chickens themselves [​IMG] I started with a small group of bantys and now have a mixed flock of 30 birds ! [​IMG] So Welcome to the party !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by